Philadelphia Museum of Art [@philamuseum]. (2019, December 3). “It’s always wonderful to walk in and see my work in a collection where it’s loved, and where people are [Photograph]. Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/p/B5oDnnNhOt4/
- Parenthetical citation: (Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2019)
- Narrative citation: Philadelphia Museum of Art (2019)
- Present the name of the individual or group author the same as you would for any other reference. Then provide the Instagram handle (beginning with the @ sign) in square brackets, followed by a period.
- Provide the specific date of the post.
- Provide the first 20 words of the post as the title. Count a URL, a hashtag, or an emoji as one word each, and include them in the reference if they fall within the first 20 words. Do not italicize emojis.
- Include a description of the post (e.g., “[Photo],” “[Video]”) in square brackets after the title.
- Credit Instagram as the site name in the source element and then provide the URL of the photo.
- The format used for Instagram is also used for Twitter and TikTok.
APA Public Interest Directorate [@apapubint]. (2019, June 14). Male depression is serious, but many men try to ignore it or refuse treatment. Different men have different symptoms, but [Video]. Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/p/BysOqenB1v7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
- Parenthetical citation: (APA Public Interest Directorate, 2019)
- Narrative citation: APA Public Interest Directorate (2019)
National Geographic [@natgeo]. (n.d.). IGTV [Instagram profile]. Instagram. Retrieved December 8, 2019, from https://www.instagram.com/natgeo/channel/
Swift, T. [@taylorswift]. (n.d.). Posts [Instagram profile]. Instagram. Retrieved January 9, 2020, from https://www.instagram.com/taylorswift
United States Army [@usarmy]. (n.d.). Tagged [Instagram profile]. Instagram. Retrieved January 18, 2020, from https://www.instagram.com/usarmy/tagged/
- Parenthetical citations: (National Geographic, n.d.; Swift, n.d.; United States Army, n.d.)
- Narrative citations: National Geographic (n.d.), Swift (n.d.), and United States Army (n.d.)
- Use the name of the profile page you want to cite in the title element of the reference (e.g., “Posts,” “IGTV,” “Tagged”).
- Include the description “[Instagram profile]” in square brackets.
- Provide a retrieval date because the content is designed to change over time and is not archived.
- Provide the URL of the page.
The New York Public Library [@nypl]. (n.d.). The raven [Highlight]. Instagram. Retrieved January 6, 2020, from https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17962199170163462/
- Parenthetical citation: (The New York Public Library, n.d.)
- Narrative citation: (The New York Public Library (n.d.)
- Include the description “[Highlight]” in square brackets.
- Provide a retrieval date because the content is designed to change over time (users can add or remove stories from the highlight) and is not archived.
- Provide the URL of the highlight.