This page contains reference examples for TikTok, including the following:
Cite a livestream (e.g., TikTok Live) that is not archived by its hosting platform and cannot be retrieved by any other means (i.e., recorded and made available online via another hosting site) as a personal communication.
Cook, P. [@chemteacherphil]. (2021, September 17). Fighting fire with fire. #sciencetok #learnontiktok [Video]. TikTok. https://www.tiktok.com/@chemteacherphil/video/7008953610872605957
Washington Post [@washingtonpost]. (2019, December 3). News is all around us #frozen #newsroom #newspaper [Video]. TikTok. https://www.tiktok.com/@washingtonpost/video/6765886712896818437
- Parenthetical citations: (Cook, 2021; Washington Post, 2019)
- Narrative citations: Cook (2021) and Washington Post (2019)
- Present the name of the individual or group author the same as you would for any other reference. Then provide the TikTok handle (beginning with the @ sign) in square brackets, followed by a period.
- Provide the specific date of the post.
- Provide the first 20 words of the caption as the title. Count a URL or other link, a hashtag, or an emoji as one word each, and include them in the reference if they fall within the first 20 words. Do not italicize emojis.
- Include the description “[Video]” in square brackets after the title.
- Credit TikTok as the site name in the source element and then provide the URL of the video.
- The format used for TikTok is also used for Instagram and Twitter.
The Rock. [@therock]. (n.d.). CEO of #RockTok [TikTok profile]. TikTok. Retrieved February 22, 2022, from https://tiktok.com/@therock
Witherspoon, R. [@reesewitherspoon]. (n.d.). [TikTok profile]. TikTok. Retrieved February 18, 2022, from https://tiktok.com/@reesewitherspoon
- Parenthetical citation: (The Rock, n.d.; Witherspoon, n.d.)
- Narrative citation: The Rock (n.d.) and Witherspoon (n.d.)
- Unlike other social media profile pages, the TikTok page does not have a “Home” or other tabs. For the title in the reference, use the first 20 words of the description (in the example, the title is “CEO of #RockTok”). Include the notation “[TikTok profile]” in square brackets.
- If the profile page has no description in the bio, include only the bracketed description “[TikTok profile]” in the title element of the reference.
- Provide a retrieval date because the content is designed to change over time and is not archived.
- Provide the URL of the page.